Today I took the fast ferry from Buenos Aires to the Uruguayan side of the river Plate, and then a coach to the capital Montevideo. After Bs As, this city that's about the same size as Helsinki seems like a sleepy little town. I think so far, that's only a positive thing: there's not that many cars around, and thus you can actually breath in here without picturing the lung cancer photos in your head. It's a really laid-back feeling in here, the buildings are low and you can walk on the streets without bumping into a million persons. It is so tranquil that actually the only exciting thing that happened was the filming of a new movie by Fernando Meirelles, the director of "City of God". In his new film, Montevideo is posed as "a European city " (source: the local paper), but I'd say it looks more like Havana with its ran down old town. Too bad I didn't spot Gael García Bernal, though.
The hostel I'm staying in is a "maravilla", it has really cool decor and even a fire place :) (http://www.palermoarthostel.com/). The only minus are the steps that take me to my room upstairs, they are super steep and have no railing, so I think my alcohol intake should not exceed 2 glasses of wine if I'm going to survive without breaking my leg on this trip. There's not that many people in here, and actually I think I've already met them all. As usual, they seem cool and friendly.
Hasta mañana.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment